[复制链接]
麦穗和稻谷 发表于 2007-5-21 22:37:11 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

注册后推荐绑定QQ,之后方才可以使用下方的“用QQ帐号登录”。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
01 February 2007
! B; e/ X; _, b+ X( U3 U# |Lemonade Stands Carry on Girl's Effort to
! S1 O1 I; s( uRaise Money to Fight Cancer
! U% ^0 I, v5 g, z. JAlso: a listener in Russia asks which states are the most popular to live in, and music from an album
' V7 j* S6 C: m5 Q, j2 urecorded to aid the women of Darfur, Sudan.$ b# D1 z4 v" v( ]' S$ T. m
HOST:) `( w0 K* i  }( A: V8 k: I. V' s
Welcome to AMERICAN MOSAIC, in VOA Special English.
. ]7 I, \% X6 t7 J' [7 \" s(MUSIC)7 C( r: Z* d2 ^
I'm Doug Johnson. On our show this week:
# O9 E1 E2 {4 A( j' WWe answer a question about popular American states…
6 R) e2 `1 q6 r: l% X: A* ePlay some music recorded to help women in Darfur, Sudan…
: I; o8 b6 s( oAnd report about a little girl's efforts to find a cure for cancer.3 @  R& c5 g. ~
Alex's Lemonade Stand4 |& l" d) `4 j
HOST:
$ C. @/ }% [9 GSix years ago, four-year-old Alexandra Scott started selling a lemon drink in front of
6 G$ N" u0 \  M* S! Eher house near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She wanted to earn money to give to0 A2 _# `  K  S2 r. |
childhood cancer research. Alexandra suffered from a kind of cancer called
$ V4 K: m: J1 Z7 f# [% v% J& Bneuroblastoma. She died in two thousand four. But the effort she started is still. \8 d) ?9 d1 U5 `
raising money for cancer research. Barbara Klein has more.
$ b$ p" Y9 A3 G0 w- }% vBARBARA KLEIN:
. O0 {1 `* N. `! N2 O; MAlexandra Scott held a lemonade sale outside her house every" A3 K- @7 U# S' `
year until her death. She also influenced others to give money to9 |. f, J/ Z* h9 f3 C
fight cancers that affect children.
; o7 X6 l5 s/ q6 n. g4 RThe program that young Alexandra started is called Alex’s/ D  ]8 u. m( b/ \. d( n
Lemonade Stand Foundation. Its Web site says that more than( d# q; H% O' f* M9 l
four thousand lemonade stands have been held throughout the" l) I5 p$ V6 e( a8 W4 T0 ?
United States to raise money for cancer research. Children,
8 ]- Y$ B; {# M7 B8 A- Afamilies, retired people, and college students organize these. t8 V8 i, E  k. h' D6 c; r1 ?
events.
. }' b+ T/ Y" Y8 m8 NAlex wanted to raise one million dollars to help find a cure for children’s cancers.1 e4 H' D& u6 D% o; @( H
When she died in two thousand four, she knew that her goal was near. Her charity
- X( c6 O  W& R- H" k6 Ghad raised more than nine hundred thousand dollars. Earlier this month, Alex’s
1 [) A9 H9 V! J% _+ cAlexandra Scott
! S1 q! b5 u9 r& J/ x5 |6 R0 B9 BLemonade Stand Foundation announced that it had given more than ten million dollars
/ z9 ~6 T" ~# _' C& }% u% @to help children with cancer.
, E5 U% F4 h8 f8 d0 I% W: yThe foundation supports cancer research in thirty hospitals throughout the United
' N* s' G! ^* {% [8 ZStates. It provides money to develop improved cancer treatments for children.. ]  z/ w! F; E; J% x+ c! d
Money goes to experienced researchers working on cancer cures as well as new
2 H/ Y, ]/ Y  ]. i+ Oresearchers with promising ideas.) _- W1 b4 d! d& S( g1 a
Much of the money collected by Alex’s lemonade stands is in small amounts and/ U) Z) l. l% N5 v1 ?( y9 I8 H
comes from children. Alex’s mother and father lead the Foundation today. They told
. K4 R! P1 ~; v- Breporters one reason for its success is because children feel good when they can help6 T2 e% b, u# S# L
other children. And they say that no amount is too small to help the more than twelve2 P8 G4 ?# ]6 N) q5 z
thousand children in the United States who are found to have cancer every year.5 |6 v# e1 G8 @, d  |
Popular American States: ]% r) u" W8 O& a$ m8 Z
HOST:
! J  Q' c3 M- _Our listener question this week comes from of Moscow, Russia. Kirill Lelin wants to
0 A4 z- X) k5 T, `$ C7 Aknow which American states are the most popular to live in. In general, the states# G3 M, S  z" |& D& s, e
that have warm weather are the fastest growing in population. Many people who retire0 B4 S& D# V5 ~- }' n% X- T% D
from their jobs want to live in an area that has nice weather./ e! W- V2 u7 ^  x( f
The United States Census Bureau takes an official count of the nation's population2 A& l& A% F% r6 c* ?! c7 W
every ten years. But it also takes estimates of population growth within states each
$ X) J1 S7 A9 W6 pyear.+ w3 r! m7 w6 L) B0 M
The Census Bureau released its most recent estimates in December of last year. The+ \+ b' ]. `3 M, Q7 i7 T; O' D
estimates show that the western state of California still has the largest population. It& h2 u- t: U; c4 W8 f4 b
has more than thirty-six million people. The western state of Texas has more than. s% W' `7 M0 X8 k
twenty-three million people. About nineteen million people live in the eastern state of
) q: u$ J, C* c1 h% lNew York. And about eighteen million people live in the southern state of Florida.
! e7 c3 A; h4 P% u  vThe Census Bureau's recent estimates show that the western part of the country has4 D9 q1 h+ _& h7 g
been growing the fastest. The South was next.
, `/ L+ ~- [5 a# I5 O* e' PTexas gained more people than any other state between July of two thousand five and9 z5 Z& b( g- e% n0 e
July of two thousand six. Texas gained almost five hundred eighty thousand people., k0 w3 ~3 w* k' f! s" W
Florida had the second highest increase. And California had the third. Both Florida and; H" y8 D8 N# v$ t% @# x, m
California gained more than three hundred thousand people.% x) [8 x( @( \4 S8 _
Two states in the Southwest also gained in population. Arizona) g& i' J5 M+ V, Q8 ]
was the country's fastest-growing state, followed by Nevada. The- f! I' h" |* I6 q+ Q$ A" d
populations of the two states grew by about three and one-half$ V& n. R+ T! `
percent.
* d/ @/ i* o. g5 O' m4 I: KSome of the nation's population movement was caused by
0 n. @# X# g1 [# }( ]Hurricane Katrina. That storm in August, two thousand five, hit the- M3 B7 G0 H" L1 X
Gulf Coast states of Louisiana and Mississippi. It caused many$ N+ }0 c0 L3 V
deaths and major destruction. Louisiana lost more than two0 ?' A5 K( w# w
Phoenix is the capital0 K! ]9 @2 p& [- H9 J$ h- l1 V
of Arizona, America's
$ z, G- x$ L% }fastest-growing state+ `( n- O7 @; a& [( |5 w5 ^* I" M
hundred thousand people during the one-year period. That number represents a loss# d: `" e) e! k3 H1 I/ m. b
of almost five percent of the state's total population before the hurricane.
* W, Z: `3 R5 U7 |9 Q2 y" M) z- sMusic To Help Women in Sudan
! _5 S, }  }" J; c6 |(MUSIC)2 f, d: n/ Q, B* f3 J; C, ~' {
HOST:0 q8 r5 G! D5 V: A& p" I
In recent years there have been many aid efforts to help the people of the Darfur area! b9 v( X/ k2 O5 g3 S1 X7 V7 m
of Sudan. Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts offers its help through a
) n: ~" E; Y, Q* @+ B4 jnew album. Faith Lapidus tells us more./ a4 x% w" ?  s- a- O
FAITH LAPIDUS:
. \/ b2 W! a* A- pDuring the nineteen eighties, humanitarian worker Linda Mason operated an aid7 q6 w, \  K7 Q+ y2 q. _3 J/ W
program in Sudan. Last year, she returned to Sudan with a group called Mercy Corps- O" i$ L3 T$ V  c' b
to investigate war crimes in Darfur. They spoke to women who were victims of war.0 r2 x' r% t, S3 q/ B6 ^2 ?
And they gave the Sudanese women music written by students at the Berklee College0 p+ J$ M" W* m( U* J4 K
of Music. Miz Mason's husband, Roger Brown, is president of the college.6 C' W$ z1 p- j- \0 L
Berklee College of Music wanted to do more to help. The college0 u3 d6 ^% _0 [" _8 m! e5 r
held a songwriting competition. The winners of the competition
7 H6 m% [( P' _6 I9 ~6 zrecorded songs for an album called “We Are All Connected:; T6 r: e, e7 I
Berklee College of Music Reaches Out to the Women of Darfur.”
! A7 a5 [) l6 q9 Q  |* JIt is a collection of jazz, country, gospel and spoken word. Money3 ~2 Y# ]( [# S1 [- D
from the sale of the CD will help women and children in Darfur.
( U5 v# k5 g( \0 z: X* M3 UHere Abria Smith performs her song “Love Myself Instead.”
- ]) L5 F4 n6 P* d; F+ R$ b$ H$ [(MUSIC)
* p8 f: F1 p) H8 w$ N4 J" ], ODuring Linda Mason’s trip to Sudan, she recorded Darfurian women singing their
1 o4 X/ J% J( `% h/ i& |9 U) ztraditional songs. Michael Conrad heard their emotional singing and used some of it in
7 P7 O: B8 N) s. N0 phis song. The words in “Side by Side” mean “Sing with me, stand with me, so that we6 x5 q! [5 F1 H5 H5 q0 i  W
can create world peace.”
% U& `7 g/ }4 b  r! Y(MUSIC)
3 |4 ]# x! p( |9 @! \( fWe leave you with another song from “We Are All Connected: Berklee College of
  R2 A  ~3 m$ o' KMusic Reaches Out to the Women of Darfur.” Here is “Women of Darfur,” written by& r3 j) ^( O  J
Dave Weigert.
0 r, B" W5 E! ^9 u! M" B+ K(MUSIC)
# v+ t) y6 a! F" J8 `7 GHOST:
5 H0 d$ R1 \- c8 k5 KI'm Doug Johnson. I hope you enjoyed our program today.
; ]! a: W! A7 o. z0 rIt was written by Brianna Blake, Lawan Davis and Nancy Steinbach. Caty Weaver was
; B# V8 t5 ]9 U1 {. _7 Eour producer. To read the text of this program and download audio, go to our Web
; ?7 p4 A$ g) ~$ B2 S! [/ E% e: _site, voaspecialenglish.com.0 z" }4 \$ f$ n$ ]4 F
And join us again next week for AMERICAN MOSAIC, VOA’s radio magazine in Special) b5 L2 h: Z3 Q6 w. \4 u
English.
5 _! T* O; h. P0 P: ]4 K7 a/ T' jMade by PoEnglish
paulluo9909 发表于 2007-5-22 12:23:51 | 显示全部楼层
[s:1]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

手机版|会员|至尊|接种|公卫人 ( 沪ICP备06060850号-3 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-3 06:48 , Processed in 0.053268 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip On, MemCached On.