查看: 1156|回复: 0

Why We Get Sick: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine

[复制链接]
sampson2010 发表于 2014-12-18 11:36:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

注册后推荐绑定QQ,之后方才可以使用下方的“用QQ帐号登录”。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
本帖最后由 sampson2010 于 2014-12-18 11:37 编辑
: z3 S- q' a8 r. r: ~  r8 J, d8 B0 h9 w0 w+ O1 ?
9780307816009_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
1 s3 `* L4 ?6 o1 J7 O* \# j8 d% m5 I  Z( z
by Randolph M. Nesse, George C. Williams
$ M) J0 |. j/ ~% R& L* B  `' ]# D7 a( t. B. T% R, @/ u# @0 x# ^
Overview
, v5 v, Q7 W' g  E" ]: G# b! EThe answers are in this groundbreaking book by two founders of the emerging science of Darwinian medicine, who deftly synthesize the latest research on disorders ranging from allergies to Alzheimer's and from cancer to Huntington's chorea. Why We Get Sick compels readers to reexamine the age-old attitudes toward sickness. Line drawings.# v) S/ ?3 i7 ?7 ]

9 \! P/ p" H, {* p: [/ M6 jEditorial Reviews
5 M1 f. B2 `6 {; q8 lPublishers Weekly - Publisher's Weekly; Q: R' i! N! r/ i8 I- H& M+ |) G
Nesse and Williams have written a lively discourse on the application of the principles of evolutionary biology to the dilemmas of modern medicine. Nesse, a physician and an associate professor of psychiatry, and Williams, a professor of ecology and evolution, provide a primer on Darwin's theory of natural selection. They explain that the functional design of organisms-e.g., our bodies-may suggest new ways of addressing illness. The book begins with a look at the causes of disease and their evolutionary influences. But the book mainly assesses the concept of adaptation by natural selection, and illustrates the ways Darwinian thinking can be applied to medical problems. As one example, the authors examine the use of penicillin over the past 60 years against bacterial infections. The book's quirky information may speak to a broad audience: researchers, for instance, have found that relatives of schizophrenics have an unusually high frequency of inclusion in Who's Who-which may counterbalance drawbacks of the disorder in evolutionary terms. The tendency toward child abuse, too, may be influenced, the authors say, by evolution and the passing on of genes. And there may well be an evolutionary reason to welcome morning sickness, they argue: nausea and food aversions during pregnancy apparently evolved to impose dietary restrictions on the mother so as to correspond with fetal vulnerability and, thereby, minimize fetal exposure to food toxins. (Jan.)
  ^( l& o6 n6 wLibrary Journal
  l! g7 o% V) M" {  {4 g  ]Offering new insights on the failure of evolution to eradicate disease, psychiatrist Nesse and ecologist Williams offer numerous suggestions on why certain seemingly negative traits have not been eliminated through natural selection. A brief discussion of the basics of evolution is provided, along with examples of how the theory of natural selection may relate to aging, cancer, allergies, and other diseases. One particularly intriguing chapter is devoted to the possibility of an evolutionary contribution to psychological disorders such as excessive anxiety or depression. Marc Lappe's recent Evolutionary Medicine: Rethinking the Origins of Disease (LJ 10/15/94) conveys a similar message on the increasing need to consider evolutionary principles in the treatment of disease. Both books are thought-provoking and worthy purchases, but librarians interested in a slightly less technical narrative may prefer Why We Get Sick.-Tina Neville, Univ. of South Florida at St. Petersburg Lib.$ M9 R) h. i# X- t: n
William Beatty" d! A0 @& `' J
Although they realize that evolution selects not for health but for reproductive success, the Darwinian physicians of Nesse and Williams' trope see the body as "a bundle of careful compromises." These Darwinians also see trouble-causing genes as those that combine good and bad features because they have not adapted completely from their Stone Age purposes to the diverse demands of today's environment and ways of living. Physicians should look for the evolutionary, not the proximate, causes of disease, Darwinians say. For example, the gene that causes sickle-cell anemia, which is most often seen in malaria-ridden areas, actually protects the individual who has it from malaria (and now, apart from in areas endangered by malaria, this gene is decreasing in frequency). When physicians look at allergy, cancer, even mental diseases, through Darwinian eyes they see and, Nesse and Williams say, will increasingly see medical problems in a new and thought-provoking light. "Why We Get Sick" deserves pondering by both physicians and laypersons.  W. P* C, y! F. @5 j5 e

5 Y5 o/ M2 f4 |) S0 ?新英格兰杂志(NEJM)书评:$ Q! Q. T, m2 ?+ H, k
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199604183341618
- I8 r! \* N7 g2 W8 b4 j. c/ k7 `/ [7 t) B# ^
Table of Contents
0 S* q9 c/ \( ^" gAcknowledgments       
5 P9 H- v8 g" a. n( ]Preface        ! A# i* @+ w6 j: l/ \. W
1        The Mystery of Disease-p3+ M7 |( H; q2 h) F
2        Evolution by Natural Selection-p13
8 }/ R+ e6 ~/ A! E2 a4 F3        Signs and Symptoms of Infectious Disease-p26; n# A- i! B1 z( |6 d2 i: N/ U
4        An Arms Race Without End-p49( s$ q9 K- s7 ]* U( s5 n& C
5        Injury-p66
. i/ `7 j4 r2 q( x* ]& K# D6        Toxins: New, Old, and Everywhere-p77( W, _! E, p8 r& F8 ?, V2 L
7        Genes and Disease: Defects, Quirks, and Compromises-p917 M5 `2 J- x* |: `
8        Aging as the Fountain of Youth-p1079 M& X. v& E, t5 Z* S2 }2 s6 P7 }
9        Legacies of Evolutionary History-p1238 W- B  c! S2 l4 |, q. @; S. w( m
10        Diseases of Civilization-p143
: c; E3 P3 c1 I; t11        Allergy-p1583 ?; _/ s( q+ Z! D
12        Cancer-p171( C+ E8 C( L! G  f$ C
13        Sex and Reproduction-p182* N8 _; Z9 Z6 @) C  g6 {
14        Are Mental Disorders Diseases?-p207
( c; I; g' w) t0 L7 P4 T15        The Evolution of Medicine-p234/ V" p7 R( [2 W8 i% q- X$ M) e! f. }. w
Notes-p2514 |' e; d2 O* R2 a* _
Index-p273; X& c/ r! _$ N
+ ^* F) i( @! _3 e7 n
PDF文件大于10MB,不便直接上传,需要可通过下面的链接去百度云下载1 a/ r. o# R  g5 b$ a7 K* M" M
链接: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1dDB0wXb 密码: di5g
) q3 j" e  N. U7 [0 w: n- F; P
4 A" ^' G6 _+ }) J5 @

本帖被以下淘专辑推荐:

手机版|会员|至尊|接种|公卫人 ( 沪ICP备06060850号-3 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 05:41 , Processed in 0.064851 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On, MemCached On.